Fluctuating Temperature Gauge On Ford Mondeo

Guest CGORST

I have a 2001 (Y) automatic Ford Mondeo Zetec. The engine temperature gauge never goes above halfway but it fluctuates between halfway and cold. The air coming from the heater is cold when the gauge says the temperature is cold but I don't really know what is going on. The problem seems worse on the motorway and I am a bit paranoid because my last car blew the head gasket when the thermostat failed and besides costing a fortune - it took ages to fix!!

If anybody has got any idea what is going on - please let me know so I can look like I know what I am talking about when I go to the garage!!

Thanks! :blink:

Guest MATT jr

...i have a feeling it could be both at fault.

no heat = thermostat stuck

temp gauge fluctuating = engine temp sensor

if you do get heat (to a good level), i would replace the temp sensor 1st

if you get no real heat at all, i would replace the thermostat 1st, and see how it goes - if the temp gauge still fluctuates, but u get heat, change the temp sensor.

has it ever surged on start up, or when driving?

MJR

No, it has never surged on starting and I do tend to get good heat most of the time. Sometimes the heater is switched off and the temperature gauge is normal but it goes down when I switch the heater on.

I think a visit to the garage is in order!!

CG

No, it has never surged on starting and I do tend to get good heat most of the time. Sometimes the heater is switched off and the temperature gauge is normal but it goes down when I switch the heater on.

I think a visit to the garage is in order!!

CG

sounds like the stat has gone U/S!

might be worth checking to see if you have any air in the system

would cause both the faults you are getting :lol:

Sorry to be a bit thick - but how do I do that?

I started up the instrument panel self diagnosis mode when I got in the car today and all the gauges including the temperature, went from side to side. After that, the heating seemed to work OK, especially when I switched it to circulate the air instead of bringing it in from outside.

At the moment I am hoping the problem is something simple, especially as it is so intermittent, - . Also, because Ford have just informed me that it will cost

Guest gooner52

if its doing it to all the gauges,could be a possible bad earth somewhere

or could be a faulty set of clocks

i will see what i can find out for you ,and get back to you :lol:

Thanks for that! :P

The temperature of the heater in the car has been great today, erm, so long as I didn't want my windows demisting and I kept circulating the air in the car. As soon as I turned the dial to demist the windows, the engine temperature dropped! At least it's not broken altogether........................yet. :lol:

they are meant to do that if you put the clocks into diagnostic mode! it's when they dont sweep across their full range that you have a problem!

I would still start with the simple repair and replace the stat first before I started replacing anything too exspensive! or just block off the grill and see if the lack of air flow through the rad increases the engine/heater temp ?

when you did the diagnostic check did any codes up in the lcd display? you should get a message DTC or none then the fault codes will show up on the display!

no idear of what they are? but if you have any it may help solve your problem?