• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Galaxy23

Galaxy23

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 90 posts

Posted 07 June 2009 - 01:05 PM

:D My galaxy has an intermittent fault with its parking sensors.This only seems to happen when I put the car in reverse.Sometimes the sensors will work and the next they don't.What i get is a continuous buzzing noise.
I have had the reverse switch checked by my local garage(non Ford) and they say it is ok.
I have also checked all the sensors (front and rear)whilst the car is in reverse and they all tick and appear to be working.

The next step is probably taking the car to Fraud's,but this will be my last resort.

Can anyone suggest anything else?

Also does anyone know how to remove a sensor without damaging it?

Any positive advice would be gratefully received.

#2 bj2004

bj2004

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 257 posts

Posted 07 June 2009 - 01:08 PM

did you check for ticking at sensors when the system worked or not check when they dont work
2006 lx TDi 115
4 Headrest DVD players and freeview tv

Once is Funny
Twice is taking the P***

M0 NDU

#3 Galaxy23

Galaxy23

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 90 posts

Posted 07 June 2009 - 01:11 PM

did you check for ticking at sensors when the system worked or not check when they dont work

Sorry I don't quite understand your reply.I have checked all the sensors when I get the continuous buzzing sound and they all tick.I haven't checked them when there is no continuous buzzing sound

#4 srafferty

srafferty

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 92 posts

Posted 07 June 2009 - 03:08 PM

With the ignition on(acc position) but the engine off, engage reverse or switch on the sessors. Each individual sensor make a ticking sound (like a watch). If one or more is not, tthen it indicates a faulty sensor. Having said that, I had a faulty sensor which ticked away merrily. It is your first test however.

Also you can use VagCom if you have access.
Never argue with a fool. They'll just drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience!

#5 Richard gal

Richard gal

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 188 posts

Posted 07 June 2009 - 04:09 PM

With the ignition on(acc position) but the engine off, engage reverse or switch on the sessors. Each individual sensor make a ticking sound (like a watch). If one or more is not, tthen it indicates a faulty sensor. Having said that, I had a faulty sensor which ticked away merrily. It is your first test however.

I have needed 2 reverse switches due to internal corrosion, but you can use the switch to activate if that is suspect.
2004 (54 reg) Galaxy TDI Ghia 130hp, 6sp Manual with options Head-rest DVD and sat nav, UPDATE! now a 2.0tdci titanium Smax

#6 Galaxy23

Galaxy23

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 90 posts

Posted 07 June 2009 - 04:45 PM

I have needed 2 reverse switches due to internal corrosion, but you can use the switch to activate if that is suspect.

I suspect I have a faulty sensor(s) which still makes a ticking noise.Looks like I will have to go to Fords as I do not know anyone with a diagnostic.

Does anyone know how to remove sensors ??

#7 lilbob

lilbob

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 65 posts

Posted 09 June 2009 - 08:14 PM

id love to be able to offer some advice but my parking sencors have never work for as long as iv owned mine
2000 mk2 galaxy tdi zetec (x reg)

#8 andymet

andymet

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 97 posts

Posted 09 June 2009 - 09:03 PM

Hi, I had a similar problem so I bought a sensor off e-bay for £30 then systematically changed each one until I found the faulty one. If you look at the housing at the back of the bumper you will find a little black button, press this and push the sensor at the front with your thumb. It may take a bit of force but will slide out the housing, then just disconnect the plug. Once you have removed the first one and learnt the techneque, the others will be like shelling peas! Hope this helps, Andy Met
Andy Met
1.9 TDI Zetec 115BHP 2003

#9 srafferty

srafferty

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 92 posts

Posted 09 June 2009 - 10:58 PM

Looks like I will have to go to Fords as I do not know anyone with a diagnostic.

Get yourself a lead off fleaBay. It's a LOT cheaper!!!!!

<_<
Never argue with a fool. They'll just drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience!

#10 Grazzer

Grazzer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 11 June 2009 - 11:56 PM

I've got one sensor that doesn't tick but I only get a very low sound from parking sensor when engaged initially for about 5 seconds.

Hopefully replacing this sensor will fix the issue, though I did find water under my passenger seat before Ford fixed rear washer.....hopefully the unit isn't totally fried!!

Where can I get "an affordable" replacement sensor? I don't want to spend £60 on ebay just to find out that the controller unit is goosed too?

Are there any online salvage companies that will accept returns if they don't work...am I dreaming ?

p.s. Galaxy Newbie, 53 TDI 115

#11 Galaxy23

Galaxy23

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 90 posts

Posted 12 June 2009 - 08:52 PM

I've got one sensor that doesn't tick but I only get a very low sound from parking sensor when engaged initially for about 5 seconds.

Hopefully replacing this sensor will fix the issue, though I did find water under my passenger seat before Ford fixed rear washer.....hopefully the unit isn't totally fried!!

Where can I get "an affordable" replacement sensor? I don't want to spend £60 on ebay just to find out that the controller unit is goosed too?

Are there any online salvage companies that will accept returns if they don't work...am I dreaming ?

I have purchased a vag com lead for £17 and the software comes free.It has found the fault straight away and is a lot cheaper than Fraud diagnostics.My parking sensors now work.

If you want a cheap new sensor look on e-nay at the moment.You can buy one for £ 30 plus £ 1.50 p and p from Portugal.It was where I bought my replacement sensor from

#12 Galaxy23

Galaxy23

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 90 posts

Posted 13 June 2009 - 05:18 PM

I have purchased a vag com lead for £17 and the software comes free.It has found the fault straight away and is a lot cheaper than Fraud diagnostics.My parking sensors now work.

If you want a cheap new sensor look on e-nay at the moment.You can buy one for £ 30 plus £ 1.50 p and p from Portugal.It was where I bought my replacement sensor from

Guess I spoke too soon.My parking sensors are not working again.I get a constant tone when I put her into reverse.The vag com has not picked up any fault codes this time.Does anyone have any ideas ?

I am getting tired with this intermittent fault