Water In Footwell...again!

Can I be unlucky again? Previously owned a Gal, had water in the Drivers footwell, unable to trace. Took a chance and had a new windscreen fitted, and it solved the prob. Bought a newer Gal and after heavy rain, same problem! Surely not again? Checked usuals, others problems seem to be on passenger side?Any ideas??

Hi have come across the same problem in driver well on diesel model 1999 vehicle and was told that I should replace the wind screen, not a solution. A friend who has a Fords workshop manual tells me that the pollen filter needs to be moved (on petrol models there are some other bits that also have to be repositioned) it's a design problem with the way the air and moisture pass around the system. Fords have the solution so one would expect that all dealers would know how to tackle the problem! Please see my posting, I'm looking to see if anyone has managed to get ford to fund the work!

• 1 month later...
I also had water in the passenger footwell from a detached screenwash pipe.

The rear screen wash comes apart if you dont use enough screen wash in winter to prevent the pipes freezing.

Be aware the water in the footwell may sneak in under the passenger seat and into the well under the seat. In that well you have your electronic module to handle central locking. This may get damaged by water, so wrap the module into a waterproof plastic bag to avoid damaging the module.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

A couple of years ago we owned a P reg Galaxy and had exactly the same problem. We tried everything, even got the windscreen re-sealed. One of the old mechanics in our village could not find out what was happening, then I registered with a site just like this and the answer was found.

If you lift the bonnet there is a gully where the rain water runs off the windscreen and in both ends of this gully is a hole which drains the water through a pipe down into the wheel arch to run away. This hole in the wheel arch gets blocked from muck off the road and using a metal coathanger that has been straightened, my husband cleared these holes. This cured the problem.

I have now purchased another Galaxy this weekend and one of the first things we are going to do is clear these drain holes.

I just joined the forum to get a few answers myself.

I too am getting water in my passenger footwell,Mine is to do with the piping for the rear washers.I seem to have a blockage i think.As even when i reconnect it my rear washers dont seem to work,And if i try to squirt too much it pops off again leaking into my footwell again.Iv not properly checked how easy it is to reinstall a new pipe yet.Does anyone know if this is the most viable sollution or if it is easy to do ?.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...

:(I have a 99 (V) reg. Had it now for about 5 years. The car is just what I was looking for. Nice high driving position, good size engine - 1.9 TDI - lots of room for the family and their junk. The dogs whatnots in fact. However, what irritates me about it though is the way it seems to develop a problem every time you fix the previous one and the fact that fixing each problem seems to cost a fortune.

Since buying it I've had to change the alternator, battery, a succession of main and auxillary drive belts and tyres. Just before Christmas i had to have the suspension checked after getting struck by a loose rubber speed hump and now I find myself sitting in water in the drivers footwell.

I've read the posts on the rainwater problem and though i thought i had cleared the drains, with the weather over the last couple of days, the carpet is now absolutly sodden and I come out every morning to find a puddle of water in the car, by the door.

I have been told that when you start getting scared to drive a car, it's time to get rid of it, but, unfortunately, that is not an option (and i don't want too anyway). But I just don't know where to start looking for where the water is coming in.

Can anyone give me any advise ?

:(I have a 99 (V) reg. Had it now for about 5 years. The car is just what I was looking for. Nice high driving position, good size engine - 1.9 TDI - lots of room for the family and their junk. The dogs whatnots in fact. However, what irritates me about it though is the way it seems to develop a problem every time you fix the previous one and the fact that fixing each problem seems to cost a fortune.

Since buying it I've had to change the alternator, battery, a succession of main and auxillary drive belts and tyres. Just before Christmas i had to have the suspension checked after getting struck by a loose rubber speed hump and now I find myself sitting in water in the drivers footwell.

I've read the posts on the rainwater problem and though i thought i had cleared the drains, with the weather over the last couple of days, the carpet is now absolutly sodden and I come out every morning to find a puddle of water in the car, by the door.

I have been told that when you start getting scared to drive a car, it's time to get rid of it, but, unfortunately, that is not an option (and i don't want too anyway). But I just don't know where to start looking for where the water is coming in.

Can anyone give me any advise ?

Hi and welcome to the forum

Blocked drains are one of the faults that will give you wet footwells as rainwater can flood into the heater and end up on your carpet.

As you say you have cleared these undo the plastic wheel arch liners and check for dirt and rubbish collecting there also check condition of bulkhead/floor area for rot, you may have a hole going through where water can get in.

Other possibilities are;

Do you have a sunroof? the drain tube may have come detached or blocked.

Heater matrix leaking (you will have loss of coolant)

Aircon drain blocked (although less likely this time of year)

Windscreen could be leaking across bonding (water running down behind dashboard)

I have the same problem! Driver side - massive puddle that gets worse when rain is heavy. I have to drive in wellies and leave a towel in there overnight to soak up the puddle! I can't wait for the smell when it eventually dries up!!!(yuck!) It's not coolent or washer fluid as it doesn't smell of anything, I doubt it's anything to do with the air con as it is definitely linked to the rain....blocked pipes? Dunno? Have no idea where to look for those (I'm female!)

Car booked in to a garage on friday so will let you know if they trace the problem! Fingers crossed!!

• 4 months later...

I had a passenger footwell full of water (2 inches deep) after a windscreen change. Strangely, one rainy day I found a small trickle coming in through the passenger door seal that was very persistent and took plumbing putty under the door seal in several places to stop it. A year later, it restarted, and nothing appearing from the door seal this time. Possibly stupidly, I took a tub of vaseline jelly and liberally smothered the passenger side of the windscreen seals, on the outside. Within a week I discovered it reacts with the rubber of the windscreen seals, I was truly worried I had just destroyed the lot. But instead, the leaks stopped, and a year later , still everything totally dry. I think the vaseline caused the rubber to swell up slightly and no further perishing is apparent. Maybe the other guy's idea of using silicone sealant is the more sensible option, but hey, for now it's dry.

• 11 months later...

Evening folks,

Had the water in passangers footwell problem also. When I read the forums I found that yes the rear washer hose had come undone under the plastic trim. I was delighted. Unfortunately a week later I had an inch of water in the footwell after heavy rain. Checked all the drains etc and they were all clear.

To get to my point. I stripped out the front of the galaxy. Plastic trims, wiper arm etc, removed the polen filter and the polen filter housing. I notices water had wet the seal inside the filter housing, so I bed it in silicon placed it back in, gave the right hand nut of it an extra little squeeze and hay-presto, no water since. Hope this helps some one as it broke my heart..

Dec

• 7 months later...

hi on the outside going up the side of the windscreen theres plastic trim that is held down by the wiper blade nut there is also 2 rectangle clips on the trim that slot into holes in the wing these should have rubber seals on them mine were perrished and i got water in my footwells i put silicoln sealent around the holes in the wing clipped the trim back down rebolted the wiper blade my footwells have been dry for over six months now.

please let me know fixes your problem