Towing With Lowered Suspension

Barney Rubble

Hi Guys i'm new here having just got shut of my 4x4 gas guzzler and got me a 06 plate Galaxy 130 bhp

Really like the idea of 18" RS 8 Alloys and -50mm G Max springs my question is has anyone any experience of towing with lowered suspension? I have a 1725kg twin axle van.

Regards Garry

Hi Gary

I would not recommend towing your twin axle van with the Galaxy as standard let alone with lowered suspension !

I have not been able to find the correct data for your car, but a good guide line is get your unladen weight of the car

and calculate 85% of that and that is a good towing weight (including all the kit you carry in the van.

to work out the weights:

The weight of the caravan (inc all the extras Gas bottles spare wheel etc) / kerb weight of the car x 100 = %

Radiotwo

Hi Guys i'm new here having just got shut of my 4x4 gas guzzler and got me a 06 plate Galaxy 130 bhp

Really like the idea of 18" RS 8 Alloys and -50mm G Max springs my question is has anyone any experience of towing with lowered suspension? I have a 1725kg twin axle van.

Regards Garry

Hi Gary

I would not recommend towing your twin axle van with the Galaxy as standard let alone with lowered suspension !

I have not been able to find the correct data for your car, but a good guide line is get your unladen weight of the car

and calculate 85% of that and that is a good towing weight (including all the kit you carry in the van.

to work out the weights:

The weight of the caravan (inc all the extras Gas bottles spare wheel etc) / kerb weight of the car x 100 = %

Radiotwo

Thanks for your reply but i can assure you i have been caravanning for 10 years and the kerbweight of the car is fine for the van 94% if you go by fords figures but when loaded with 6 passengers and awning etc it is well within the 85% guideline (which is not a law by the way it's just a guideline)

• 2 weeks later...

Regards Garry

Hi, I've not towed a caravan but I have towed a large twin axle flat bed trailer with a Mazda MX5 on it. My Mk2 Galaxy 2.3 has -50mm GMax springs & 18" wheels fitted and towed over 300 miles without a single problem.

A couple of points which may be relevant ( or may not ! ).

The caravan/trailer must be less than 7m in length.

The MAM of the caravan ( as plated on the caravan) must be less than the unladen weight of the towing vehicle ( not plated on the vehicle but assumed to be 1730kg for a Galaxy....bit more for high spec Auto )....the 85% guideline applies to the vehicle unladen weight ( you can't load it up to make it heavier ! ).

However my MK1 Galaxy is rated to tow up to 1530kg.....maximum train weight minus maximum laden weight of vehicle.

And you must have passed your test before 1992 (ish).

Mk II homologated to tow up to 2000kg.

well had my first tow with the Galaxy last weekend and I am well impressed no lack of power and returned 28mpg much better than the old Pathfinders 17 !!!

Gonna go for 18" wheels when current tyres are shot but not sure about lowering as the caravan sits nice and level as it is now.

Just checked the plate on my van and its weight is 1723kg according to parkers the Gal is 1724kg so thats a 100% ratio but towed as steady as a rock , Max tow weight for the Galaxy is 2000kg so i'm well within that.

• 1 year later...

<!--quoteo(post=145962:date=Sep 30 2009, 16:22:53:name=tim-spam)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (tim-spam @ Sep 30 2009, 16:22:53) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=145962"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Mk II homologated to tow up to 2000kg.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

well had my first tow with the Galaxy last weekend and I am well impressed no lack of power and returned 28mpg much better than the old Pathfinders 17 !!!

Gonna go for 18" wheels when current tyres are shot but not sure about lowering as the caravan sits nice and level as it is now.

Just checked the plate on my van and its weight is 1723kg according to parkers the Gal is 1724kg so thats a 100% ratio but towed as steady as a rock , Max tow weight for the Galaxy is 2000kg so i'm well within that.

I'm going to watch this with interest as buying a Galaxy with the VW VR6 engine today and plan tweaking. With the passing test/towing thing I passed my test in 1996 and am able to tow, my missus passed in 2000 and she doesn't so they must have stopped allowing towing on basic car licence between 96 & 00

I'm going to watch this with interest as buying a Galaxy with the VW VR6 engine today and plan tweaking. With the passing test/towing thing I passed my test in 1996 and am able to tow, my missus passed in 2000 and she doesn't so they must have stopped allowing towing on basic car licence between 96 & 00

As you've replied to a 15-month old thread, I doubt any fresh info will come from it.

Anyone can tow - within specific limits; there are towing mass restrictions on more recent drivers (until they pass a further test). The crucial date is 1st January 1997: http://www.campingandcaravanningclub.co.uk/helpandadvice/gettingstarted/newtotrailertents/towingandthelaw/