Wipers Wont Turn Off

emma

Hi all, I have had my galaxy 2 years, so far the only trouble ive had is it sometimes stalls approx 5- 10 sec after ignition, but usually restarts straight away , so no worries, and sometimes it takes 3-4 attempts to start, but fires always by the 5th time??!!.

Today however, i put keys in to start it and the wipers came on and wouldnt go off , even with keys out and all off and locked, i located the fuse and removed it- replaced fuse and now wipers dont work..

Is this a relay fault? , and where can i locate said relay, and how to test it.

Also if someone can maybe throw some light on the other two faults i would be mostly grateful.

Other than these faults the cars been great for 60,000miles

Thanks Emma :huh:

You should have sorted it under warranty! Now you are 2 weeks over.... Perhaps if you ask nicely and flutter your eyelashes, the dealer might be able to offer some goodwill.

IIRC stalling issues are a common fault and I believe there is a recall for an ECU software update to fix it. Again ask if they can do it for free!

IIRC stalling issues are a common fault and I believe there is a recall for an ECU software update to fix it. Again ask if they can do it for free!

Do you know of anywhere to look up a list of TSB's and.or recalls?

You should have sorted it under warranty! Now you are 2 weeks over.... Perhaps if you ask nicely and flutter your eyelashes, the dealer might be able to offer some goodwill.

Thanks for your replies, dose this module relate to the wiper problem aswell? or is that seperate.

• 2 weeks later...
Hi all, I have had my galaxy 2 years, so far the only trouble ive had is it sometimes stalls approx 5- 10 sec after ignition, but usually restarts straight away , so no worries, and sometimes it takes 3-4 attempts to start, but fires always by the 5th time??!!.

Today however, i put keys in to start it and the wipers came on and wouldnt go off , even with keys out and all off and locked, i located the fuse and removed it- replaced fuse and now wipers dont work..

Also if someone can maybe throw some light on the other two faults i would be mostly grateful.

Thanks Emma :angry:

Hello Emma

Same thing happened with mine on the 24th of December. I've had the car since August 2007 and its been great to date, apart from a turbo issue which Ford resolved at 10 months. There is only 28K on the clock. The management system said an Alarm service was also required. I've been unable to lock the car since without the alarm going off. The wipers stopped themselves but now they won't work at all. I'd like to know has anyone else had a similar issue with a Galaxy and was there an easy fix??

Thanks Emma :unsure:

Hello Emma

Same thing happened with mine on the 24th of December. I've had the car since August 2007 and its been great to date, apart from a turbo issue which Ford resolved at 10 months. There is only 28K on the clock. The management system said an Alarm service was also required. I've been unable to lock the car since without the alarm going off. The wipers stopped themselves but now they won't work at all. I'd like to know has anyone else had a similar issue with a Galaxy and was there an easy fix??

Hi 63machine,

The alarm service is also showing on my console! and at the same time i had trouble with wipers the auto lights function stopped working aswell.

I still have had no joy with finding a fix, i phoned ford and asked if i could get it looked at under the warranty, and they put me on hold for 30 mins b4 i hung up.

Im getting close to taking it in for them to plug it in - reset it and charge me loads.

Heres hoping some tech guy knows the fix and would like to share it.

Emma

The stalling problem was fixed with an Engine Management software update, as mentioned earlier.

Mine has been in three times for the Wipers Issue, comes back with no errors, then I get a message for an alarm service, then within 36 -48 hours the wipers turn themselves on, always whilst parked, ignition off, key out, single locked, because if you double bleep the alarm also goes off whilst the wipers go beserk.

Emma

The stalling problem was fixed with an Engine Management software update, as mentioned earlier.

Mine has been in three times for the Wipers Issue, comes back with no errors, then I get a message for an alarm service, then within 36 -48 hours the wipers turn themselves on, always whilst parked, ignition off, key out, single locked, because if you double bleep the alarm also goes off whilst the wipers go beserk.

Hello Emma and hp4020

I resolved the issue myself. The problem is caused by the intruder alarm sounder/controller. Its located behind the passenger side front wheel arch liner. Dampness must have got into the unit, (though on inspection it looked perfect). This unit is connected to the management system by means of an data highway. there are an number of other pieces of equipmet also attached via the same information highway. It seems that the unit when it fails sends multiple messages to the managemnet system and can cause other pieces of equipment to fail as a result. The quick fix is to disconnect it at the unit itself and replace it at the earliest opportunity. Its awkward to get at it but the fix works. The only down side is I don't have an alarm until its fixed. At least I can now lock the vehicle and my wipers work. Ford informed me yesterday they want

Emma

Hello Emma and hp4020

I resolved the issue myself. The problem is caused by the intruder alarm sounder/controller. Its located behind the passenger side front wheel arch liner. Dampness must have got into the unit, (though on inspection it looked perfect). This unit is connected to the management system by means of an data highway. there are an number of other pieces of equipmet also attached via the same information highway. It seems that the unit when it fails sends multiple messages to the managemnet system and can cause other pieces of equipment to fail as a result. The quick fix is to disconnect it at the unit itself and replace it at the earliest opportunity. Its awkward to get at it but the fix works. The only down side is I don't have an alarm until its fixed. At least I can now lock the vehicle and my wipers work. Ford informed me yesterday they want

Hello

I didn't remove it. Its quite awkward to get at the unit itself. (Which is why they located it there I suppose) The plug just pulls out but its not easy to get at it. I just removed the connecter from the unit. I contemplated removing it but I spoke to 2 Ford techys in two different dealerships over this issue. They were both quite forthcoming once they realised I had identified the root of the problem. Both of them said they had replaced a number of these units. One said he had opened them up on occasion and said the circuit board had been completely corroded. Drying out the unit may have worked but that fact that dampness had penetrated the unit once to me was a really an invitation for it to happen again (and probably when every dealership in Dublin is shut for two weeks!). One chap said that Ford had since reengineered the unit an located it elsewhere in the vehicle in later production runs of this model. I'm in the middle of an argument with them regards payment for the repair. I'm not sure what my chances are but I'm trying. My warranty is expired so I'm relying on them to be nice and hoping they want to retain me as a future customer?! Thanks and good luck in 2010. 63.

Hi,

Sorry if I'm being dense but I've just had exactly the same thing happen to my wipers, going full tilt whatever I did so removed fuse and as per Emmas now wont work.

As the post drifted a bit on the stalling and alarm service messages I lost the thread somewhere

Is it the alarm unit causing the wiper fault?

If I disconnect the alarm unit do I get working wipers but no alarm?

Thanks if anyone can clear this up

Hi Stoned

The wiper fault is caused by your alarm sounder unit. If you release the passenger side front wheel arch liner you will see the unit in the two O'clock position above the wheel. Don't try to remove the liner completely because you probably won't get it back in properly. There is a 3-pin plug which is inserted into the alarm sounder. Its awkward but it just pulls straight out. If you disconnect this your wipers will be restored. No fuse changes required. You will get an intruder alarm message on your management system and your alarm won't work but it will get you out of a hole until you can get the unit replaced. This unit will send messages to the management system and can effect a number of devices that are connected to the management system not just the wipers. I was told it can effect climate control, radio, lights(not sure how). One chap described it as a virus on the management system. Good luck, 63.

Hi,

Sorry if I'm being dense but I've just had exactly the same thing happen to my wipers, going full tilt whatever I did so removed fuse and as per Emmas now wont work.

As the post drifted a bit on the stalling and alarm service messages I lost the thread somewhere

Hi, maybe leave off the weed for a while ;).

This is what 63 did....

Hello Emma and hp4020

Thanks Emma :46:

Hi Emma, I have got the same problem and the Alarm keeps going off - did you manage to fix this problem and what was it???

Hi Sixbouys

• 1 month later...
Hi,

Hi, i have just done the same as 63 machine, and took the alarm sounder module out, stripped it down and it looks to me like it is the small 6v back up battery in the module that has leaked and corroded the pcb., i took this to ford and argued with no resolve as they did not want to know out of warranty, they quoted