How To - Ecu Removal

Hi guys have decided to post this 'how to' in the hope that it will help a few people as the issue regarding ECU removal keeps popping up. I haven't been a member of this site for very long and already i have had so much help with problems regarding my galaxy (Big thanks to chrispb123456) and everybody else that has posted to my problems. Admin if you can add this to the how to section i would be very grateful.

Right here goes. The reason for removal of my ECU was because i was changing all the vaccuum pipes on the car running to turbo(n75) and EGR(n18) valves, and then found out there was a MAP sensor inside the ecu that can often fail as there is a pipe than runs from the Map sensor inside the ecu to the outside of the ECU which in turn runs from the ECU through the bulkhead and into the intercooler to manifold pipe(front of engine).

Tools required:-

10mm spanner or socket

phillips(or cross head) screwdriver

Allen key(Possibly will explain later)

T15 and T20 security bit (See pic below)

post-34138-0-87013800-1306572881_thumb.jpg

DISCONNECT THE BATTERY!!

1. First off we need to remove the instrument cluster, so we need to lower the steering wheel as far as the adjustment handle will allow. We now need to remove the instrument cluster surround. Looking at the surround at the top you will see two phillips screws (cicrcled in red) these need to be removed, and carefully pull the surround out toward you from the top and bottom middle.

post-34138-0-32703900-1306573100_thumb.jpg

2. Next we need to remove the instrument cluster itself, again this is held in with two phillips screws in the top left and top right. Once the screws are out gently tip the cluster forward from the top and slide the cluster out slowly to the right be careful as there are two plugs that need removing before the cluster comes all the way out these are red and black.

post-34138-0-86392700-1306573638_thumb.jpg

post-34138-0-89627400-1306573672_thumb.jpg

post-34138-0-29145300-1306573707_thumb.jpg

post-34138-0-15057900-1306573745_thumb.jpg

3. next we need to remove the bulb control monitor. This is where the 10mm spanner or socket comes in. Undo the 10mm dome nut (Bronze) and slowly manuvere the monitor out. There are 3 plugs attached to this that need removing, dont worry about getting them muddled up they are all different shapes so can only go into the appropriate block.

post-34138-0-12010900-1306574174_thumb.jpg

post-34138-0-57741000-1306575419_thumb.jpg

post-34138-0-21569900-1306575455_thumb.jpg

4. Next you will the ECU. First of you need to remove the vaccum pipe attached to the ECU (Top left of ECU) I had to do this by feel. There is a clip on it but i just kept twisting at the clip and the pipe soon came off.

post-34138-0-33199300-1306575870_thumb.jpg

5. Now we need to remove the top left screw which holds a little metal bracket (you probably felt this when removing the vaccuum pipe) This is where the T20 security bit on a ratchet comes in.

post-34138-0-68494400-1306576395_thumb.jpg

post-34138-0-68965300-1306576446_thumb.jpg

6. Now we need to remove the ECU wiring loom. This was the hardest bit for me, but hopefully with this how to it will be a bit easier. Firstly as you see the wiring going to the block/ECU connection you may see a little black cable tie attaching the wiring to the black connector( on ECU wiring closest to you), i just snipped this in case it was going to be in the way.

Now if you feel the block connector and work your way up the connector to the far end with your hand there is a slide clip that needs to be pulled away from you( Towards the bulkhead) This comes out quite a long way and will take quite a bit of pulling. (See pics below)

post-34138-0-50945600-1306577180_thumb.jpg

post-34138-0-75215800-1306577227_thumb.jpg

post-34138-0-77799900-1306577268_thumb.jpg

Once the slide connector is pulled right up, then the ECU wiring can be removed quite easily. It may just need a slight wiggle left and right but should then come out easily. Note. If the slide connector hasnt been pulled fully up the wiring harness will never release from the ECU.

7. Once the wiring harness has been removed, there are 2 more T20's that need removing and then the whole ECU will come out, these are easier than everything else done so far but i had to bodge a tool to undo them (See pics)

post-34138-0-00743000-1306578098_thumb.jpg

post-34138-0-36353200-1306578135_thumb.jpg

8. With the ECU out of the car u now need to remove the cover of the ECU to expose the guts and to get to the MAP sensor. Here is where the T15 comes in. Just remove the 4 screws (circled in red) and slide the black casing backwards it may be a little stiff but prise it slowly and it will come away. Be very careful once out of its cover as to stay away from any static incase you accidentally damage the ECU internal components. Ideally an anti static station should be used, so just be very careful.

post-34138-0-71670300-1306579288_thumb.jpg

post-34138-0-43057500-1306579334_thumb.jpg

9. Once the case has been removed you will quite clearly see the MAP sensor (Black box) and the pipework that runs to the outside of the ECU. I replaced my pipework with overbraid vaccuum hose, although my old pipework looked o.k Note:- Be VERY careful when removing the clips to the pipework on the MAP that you do not slip and break the green electrical block (Circled) as it's very easy to slip and break this causing possible irreperable damage to the ECU

post-34138-0-78301500-1306580571_thumb.jpg

post-34138-0-05611000-1306580610_thumb.jpg

10. Thats about it, i was going to replace the pipework from the MAP sensor going through the bulkhead to the manifold/inlet pipe but mine was in good condition so i never bothered. So in good old haynes manual fashion Refitting is the Reverse of removal LOL.

I hope this has/will of been some use to a few people and if anyone else trys this and wants to add to what i have already posted please feel free.

Thanks again

Andy.

yer got that, let us know if it clears you 65535 internal control module error code, also you should have a look at www.vagcat.com if you register and click catalogue you can view all component diagrams for the whole vehicle (seat alhambra) its very uesful!

nige

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I removed my ECU today to change the small pipe inside ... and yes the old one had a hole in it!!

Just to add to Andy's brilliant and most helpful post I found that when I pulled the slide connector out it was hitting the tube where the MAP hose connects. This stopped the slide connector coming all the way out so I couldn't disconnect the multi plug from the ECU. This was easily overcome by slightly pulling on the multiplug so it came out a little way. This then allowed the necessary clearance for me to pull the slide connector all the way out and to fully remove the multi plug.

Hope this helps and may save a few minutes of confusion!.

Cheers,

Robin.

• 7 months later...

Lol had noticed it hadn't been moved yet. Cmon admin don't let all my hard work be in vain :-)

finally added :-( did anybody post in the add to faq thread - I look in there quite often

• 3 months later...

Well i found this help topic and it was a massive help to me to do my own galaxy ecu.

i had one issue.

Someone had gone at the 1st bolt retaining the ecu wrecking it.

so no matter what T20 security bit i used it would not undo.

in the end i had to remove the lower panels around fuse box.

and reach up with sockets and undo the tray holding the ecu.

i managed to get the tray into a position where i could get a small pair of molegripps

on the bolt and get it out.

after this i put the tray back and opened up my ecu....hey presto one small black tube with a 5mm long

split in it.....all back together now and running well....

Many thanks to the poster of this helpful post.

Gary.

Edited by gary132

• 1 year later...

after spending all night trying to work out what the power loss was caused by i tried these as a free fix first, guess what????? ive got the power!!!!!!!!!!!!!, thanks for sharing this mega helpful post, just replacen the rest of the vacum pipes now :),

thanks from an essex newbie

• 8 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Andy brilliant how to, esp with the later additions about the wiring clip/vac pipe stub. The thing that springs to mind is that having seen inside now, the only reason to do this from a vacuum, loss of power, limp mode, vac pipe perspective, is if the vacuum pipe from the map is not holding vac. There is a direct connection from the engine bay map pipe, to the ecu internal pipe. Therefore if you pump it out with a mini vac, and it holds vac,this little pipe inside is also ok. So still got my limp mode going on, but interesting bit of fact finding.

• 8 months later...

Remember the turbo doesn't boost all the time, and certainly not straight from idle, so yes, the manifold pressure will be positive sometimes when the turbo is boosting but equally will be negative whenever it isn't. I think the turbo only really starts to boost when the engine speed hits around 1500rpm.

Please correct me if I am wrong but all this talk of vacuum got me to thinking, the inlet pipe that this connects to has positive pressure in it from the turbo not a vacuum.

I think your confusing the charge pipes, these are the large hoses that connect the turbo outlet through to the intercooler then on to to the inlet manifold, these will be varying degrees of positive pressure when engines running.

The vacuum pipes operate a series of solenoid valves namely turboboost valve (N75) this controls the turbo actuator. EGR control valve (N18) this controls the amount of vacuum to the EGR valve. and finally on PD engines the manifold flap valve (N239) sometimes called anti shudder valve, this closes off the air intake for a few seconds when engine is switched off.

• 4 months later...