Water Leak Drivers Side Mk3 Ghia

lynchman

I currently have a very smelly and wet car!

Since all the heavy rain I appear to have an annoying problem but can't seem to find out were it is coming from.

The drivers side footwell is completly soaked and once i dried it out another dose of rain and its wet again.

I have pulled up all the carpet and soaked up the water.It appears to be coming down near the door but I haven't yet managed to remove all the soundproofing to expose bare metal.I have had my head under the dash with a torch but can't see any light or gaps that it could be coming from.

I have checked the scuttle run offs and poured water all over but can't see it any ideas on what else to check as I am concerned that the wiring will get damaged and gremlins will set in.

I do have a panaramic roof but cant see any problems there.

any advice appreciated

• 3 months later...

I currently have a very smelly and wet car!

Since all the heavy rain I appear to have an annoying problem but can't seem to find out were it is coming from.

The drivers side footwell is completly soaked and once i dried it out another dose of rain and its wet again.

I have pulled up all the carpet and soaked up the water.It appears to be coming down near the door but I haven't yet managed to remove all the soundproofing to expose bare metal.I have had my head under the dash with a torch but can't see any light or gaps that it could be coming from.

I have checked the scuttle run offs and poured water all over but can't see it any ideas on what else to check as I am concerned that the wiring will get damaged and gremlins will set in.

I do have a panaramic roof but cant see any problems there.

any advice appreciated

Recently got a 2nd hand 2006 zetec galaxy mkIII (with panaramic roof) last summer and since winter has set in, I have discovered it has a leak too :lol: I've found loads of water leak forum threads on other sites but its not clear what model they refer too.

Hard to say where its coming in but have removed the soundproofing from the bottom of the footwell and then completely dried it up. Since more recent rain the soundproofing behind the foot pedals are now wet again, so perhaps its coming down from the windscreen? Before I consider replacing the windscreen is there anything more I can do to pinpoint the likely cause of the leak? The local dealer has mentioned 90% of the time its caused by a leaking windscreen.

Sorry I cant help the original poster but perhaps my reply might facilitate some helpful feedback

Thanks in advance

W.

• 6 months later...

Follow up,

Not solved yet but I think its more to do with the AC rather than rain getting into the car from outside. Found the footwell wet again, upon inspection found water coming from a plastic flexi-tube behind the lower trim of the central console (See console trim picture). This tube finishes up at a white clip back into the under floor (see white clip picture). Both the top and end of the tube were wet but as yet unsure if the white clip end is leaking as the water may well just be trickling down.

Is this tube used to direct AC condensated water out through under the engine? I was able to get my hand behind the trim and pull the top out, it was quite loose. I believe this top is connected to the AC unit. Can anybody confirm? I've read the AC drain pipe can be blocked, is the white clip connected to this drain. How best to check for blockage?

Finally how should I go about fixing this leak, does it need a new part from Ford?

Thanks for any advice

W.

post-37794-0-77898400-1343044625_thumb.jpg

post-37794-0-81727200-1343044632_thumb.jpg

Edited by whowantstwoknow

Update:

It seems this pipe/tube is connected to the evaporator and drains the water generated by the AC to the underside of the car. In my case this pipe had become loose, I have reconnected it and the fit is now quite firm. So far so good wrt the leak but will keep an eye on it over the next couple of weeks.

I've read from the internet the drain pipe can become blocked on pre-mkIII models. Does anybody know if that's still the case with the mkIII? Does anybody know where on the underbody this pipe should exist (the liquid)? I can see droplets coming down in the centre of the underbody right on the edge of a rectangle tube that runs the full length of the car, but it doesnt appear to be a deliberate place to exit? I'm wondering is it leaking somewhere else along the way?

Any advice would be much appreciated?

Thanks

W.

• 4 weeks later...

That white tube is the drain tube, it opens out straight through into the exhaust channel, behind the sound insulation beneath the car. From your photo, it just goes straight through, no bends. That white part is the bottom of the drain tube, once it's gone thought the outer skin of the car it stops. I've had the problem of soaking drivers footwell, I tracked it back to a panel a bit further back from this pipe, behind which sits the a/c unit. This condensates and it was the condensate leaking out of the corner by this panel. I have now removed the pollen filter from the other side ( why do they make these things so awkward!) which was filthy and full of leaves etc. I've changed this and am now seeing of this has cured the problem........

Update,

Thanks for the feedback. Just to let others know, that loose drain pipe connection seems to have been the cause. Its been a couple of weeks now with the carpet/felt back in place and there's no feel of any dampness. Touch wood.

Now off to get the door trimming clips to complete the fastening of the carpet...

W.

Edited by whowantstwoknow