Gear Selector Issue

Recently. my 2004 Ford Galaxy TDI would not go into gear properly I had to force the gears. Took the car to the mechanic he found the problem straight away on the passenger's side there is a cover or cap which goes into the gearbox that had come off and all the oil was leaking out hence why I had a problem getting the car into gear. He advised that I should replace that cover or cap just in case it comes out again. Does anyone know what this cover or cap is called and where I can get it from? Also I need to top up the oil in the box which is the correct one for the 6 speed box? I have been told it is best to use Dexron

I take it the cap is the large one with about the size of a mug? It may well be worth fitting a shim and new end cap. Search YouTube for vw shim repair and this should give you all the required info. Have heard dexron atf is fine in the box worth draining and refilling

I take it the cap is the large one with about the size of a mug? It may well be worth fitting a shim and new end cap. Search YouTube for vw shim repair and this should give you all the required info. Have heard dexron atf is fine in the box worth draining and refilling

FYI - the forum is a bit broken at the minute, when it says saving post its probably actually done it, thats why you've ended up with multiple copies of the reply. Its not you!