• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 richyrich

richyrich

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 73 posts

Posted 02 March 2019 - 04:46 PM

Finally said goodbye to my 2001 galaxy yesterday - gone to the scrappy after owning for 17 years!
Did 188k miles - loved it for it’s practicality, but i must admit I always seemed to be working on it - even had a new engine, turbo and clutch fitted at 70k miles due to the dreaded ‘blocked Egr valve’.

Final straw - lots of smoke from exhaust- think the turbo was about to go, kept going into limp mode when going over 2k revs.

Sad to see her go - replaced with a seat Alhambra which I’m not sure about yet - especially the back seats - and we can’t get our 2 bikes in either!

Richyrich

#2 Sampson

Sampson

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 03 March 2019 - 01:25 AM

Sorry to hear your old Galaxy has gone. We’ve had our mk 1 for 16 years, you do get attached to them! Hope you adjust to your new car........,

#3 xavier

xavier

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 426 posts

Posted 07 March 2019 - 10:28 PM

Richy, I have a towbar and a towbar mounted bike rack, one of the platform ones that the bike wheels sit on rather than those arm things, an altera one, they're brilliant.

#4 sparky Paul

sparky Paul

Super advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,378 posts

Posted 19 March 2019 - 09:48 PM

Ours is still sat on the pending pile after 15 years of ownership. I'm afraid the dreaded sill rot, together with the windscreen and a few other mechanical issues mean it's the end of the road for me. It's been replaced for now by a Vaux Insignia estate, 160bhp, easy 50-60 mpg and £30 tax. It's already saved me nearly £1500 in fuel and road tax, since last summer.

The old bus will have to go for scrap value when I get round to it, and I'll have a load of spares to get rid of too. I'll still be sorry to see it go.