Dual Mass Flywheel 1.9tdi 130

widu13

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3 weeks ago I bought a 2003 03 1.9TDi 130 Ghia with 34,000 miles. I had checked the service history (all Ford) and thought it was a good buy at the price. :D

After a few days I occasionally heard a slight knocking which appeared to be coming from the area under the gear lever. Took it into my local ford, but sods law, there was no noise so I drove off.

3 days later, whilst visiting relatives in Oxfordshire, the engine started making a lot of noise, rattling and loss of power.

Took it into a local dealer who referred me to main dealer (Hartwells) at Oxfod. Again, initially nothing could be diagnosed (purely from test drive) and so I drove off in a noisey Galaxy. I then lost all turbo power and was struggling to reach 50mph (embarrassing on the M40!!).

Next day I took it into my loacl Fords (TCHarrison, Peterborough) and they reluctantly agreed to look at it that day. Its a good thing they did, because they described the dual mass flywheel as being damaged beyond recognition!!!!!

Fortunately this vehicle is 2yrs and 11months old so the replacement will be under warranty. However, the parts are on 'Back Order' and Ford (local, national customer services and parts at Daventry) are unable to tell me when the parts will be in stock (it has now been sitting in their yard for 2 weeks!!!!!).

I speak to them on a daily basis and still they don't know when the parts are going to turn up, but they now tell me that there is a full recall on the dual mass flywheel which affects my chassis number (too late in my case). :D

I have tried to find something about this on the net but have not yet been able to. Does anyone have any knowledge of this????

I have also been trying to get a hire car out of them, but I am only entitled to it from day 14 (today) and they can only let me have one on the say so of Daventry, who only communicate by e-mail and take 3 days at a time to answer!!!!

Any bright ideas on how to speed things up???

SO, in summary, seemed like a nice car, but currently Ford are sitting on

;) Update....

FOrd policy is that they will only provide a courtesy/hire car after a part has been on back order for 14 days. I have been chasing on a daily basis and today Daventry (who authorise the hire cars) kept fobbing off the local dealer saying that the part had only been on order since the 18th (this was due to the original part (ordered on the 12th) was subject of the recall and so they had to order the new part on the 18th!?!)

So, after lots of promises of the hire car being available today and then nothing, this afternoon I dug up the name of the Ford UK Parts Division QUality COntrol Manager from the net and rang to speak. The individual, who will remain namelss, was kind enough to take my call and listened to what I had to say. 10 minutes and a conference call later I had one of the parts division managers authorising a hire car for me. :D !!!!!!

Anyway, apparently the parts are now available at Daventry so I think there may be a swift delivery to the dealers tomorrow and a few sore ears at Daventry!!

Hopefully my faith will be restored in Ford. The cooperation of the Parts Division Quality Control Manager has certainly gone a long way towards getting me there, but it whould not have got to that.

VOSA Site link here

Here is the link to the VOSA site, but still no mention of the recall as far as I can see - mmm phone call to Fraud's coming on I feel!!! ;)

Cheers

Chris

VOSA only deal with safety recalls IIRC and this is a simple manufacturing defect that does not effect safety.

I think three threads about this is a few too many, so I am merging them all into the one in the recalls section.

Sorry if this inconveniences anyone, but I think it better if everything is kept together.

Hi Neil

I'm at work and I've got them at home I'm afraid. No one in at the moment either so cant call and ask. I will be home around 8.30 tonight and and can give you then if still needed. Also, when you say, TSB, do you mean the recall no. quoted that I had to give to Ford ?

Dave

For info - Ford, Daventry, seem very confused as to whether they have the parts available for this. Yesterday the parts dept told my dealership that they were on the shelf and then a little later stated that they would not be available until next week at the earliest.

The 'Supervisor for Customer Liason' at Daventry has stated that the part will be delivered tomorrow?!?!!?! Surprising what results you can get when you ruffle feathers! :lol:

Guest neil_wiles

TSB is the technical service bulletin under which the recall notice has been issued.

I am curious because it normally would list other affected models and time periods of the recall.

Thanks if you post it I am sure if I am not around someone will grab it off the forum for me

Ta

Guest FlyingDutchMan

On the subject of safety recalls, was just on a German website announcing 3 (three!) safety recalls for VW Sharan in Europe:

1. Link (I guess) between Stabalisor and Springcoil to be replaced as customers complained about noises (if that would be the drop links it would be a laugh given that I'm on my 3rd set).

2. Replacement of Turbo pressure pipe on 115PS TDI automatic modells

3. Xenon light ECU replacement following failures

VW stated there were 69,000 Sharans involved, build between 2001 & 2005 and it is Europe wide.

All in all it seems to be 2 hours work for VW's account and there haven't been any accidents (??), according to the article.

FDM