• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#21 Spaceydude

Spaceydude

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 22 February 2012 - 12:08 PM

Just like to add, my problem was that the bit sticking out of the switch that touches the break pedal wasnt reaching it anymore, so I took the switch out and pulled on it to see why it was short and it sort of click click clicks out to the required length then when you put it back in the break pedal pushes it back in to the perfect adjustment. So I probably could have adjusted it without taking it out :) Mine is the part# 1J0 945 511 A type

#22 pedantic_me

pedantic_me

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 03 March 2012 - 01:56 PM

Mmmm. Confused.com
Have had the glowplug warning light flashing with failure of brake lights, so have changed the switch. However on changing the switch my brake lights do not switch off (even when the keys are out). any ideas? Thanks

#23 gregers

gregers

Eternally ultimate Member

• 5721 posts

Posted 03 March 2012 - 09:57 PM

have you taken the switch out and tried to resite it?

#24 pedantic_me

pedantic_me

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 06 March 2012 - 07:48 AM

Taken it back out a few times. Bought the new switch from a local auto part centre, so although looked correct, may have been the part. Off to the Ford garage to make sure I am attempting it with the correct switch. Will let you know later how I get on. Thanks

#25 chrispb123456

chrispb123456

Ultimate Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2499 posts

Posted 06 March 2012 - 09:48 AM

iirc some vehicles have two switches on the brake pedal? make sure you replace with the same type.

#26 pedantic_me

pedantic_me

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 06 March 2012 - 11:18 PM

iirc some vehicles have two switches on the brake pedal? make sure you replace with the same type.

All fixed. Not trusting the local auto shop had sold me the correct item, I bought another one today from Ford. The ford one was green, rather than purple as previous, but again didn't work. Fearing it was more than the switch (and finding out local Ford garage would charge me £45 just to run diagnostics, I took it to my regular local garage, who spent 2 mins in the footwell and hey presto "set" the new switch (bought from the local auto shop) and sent me on my happy way, without charge. Thanks all for the tips and for these threads which gave me the confidence to tackle something on my car for myself. Cheers. Happy Galaxy Owner (with a spare brake light switch) :-)

#27 mrben

mrben

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 106 posts

Posted 14 March 2013 - 02:00 PM

Great thread. Had same problem. Wiggled the switch first and brake lights started working, so have sprayed a bit of wd40, and they're working again now, so might get away with the switch for a while....

#28 mrben

mrben

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 106 posts

Posted 14 March 2013 - 02:02 PM

Thanks.

Edited by mrben, 14 March 2013 - 02:03 PM.

#29 pt-auto

pt-auto

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 29 September 2013 - 07:27 AM

My brake light switch has gone bad. My car has Automatic gearbox and thus I can not get it out of P with this switch broken. Unfortunately I can not get a new switch until Wednesday but I need the car before that. Has anyone tried to fix the broken switch? The length of the switch is correctly adjusted and it looks OK from the outside. I have also tested with a jump wire that the switch is indeed broken as with the wire in place the green park light in the dash goes away. I also checked the switch with a multimeter and there was no way to make a connection and thus to show any resistance between the 2 connectors.

I seem to have another slightly different looking 2-pin switch above this broken one. I guess it is for cruise control? How about linking the wires coming to the broken switch to the other one, would that work? Would there be too much current so that it would blow a fuse? I can of course see that, if it happens immediately, but if it happens while driving I just loose the brake lights and the next time I start and try to move from P to D I just can't again. Does anyone know what I should do?

The switch is a 2-pin model and the car is a mkII -01 2.3 automatic.