Glow Plug Light Flashing

I have a Galaxy 1.9Tdi 115bhp 51 plate Last year i had a loss of power problem and the garage changed the Air Mass Meter which cured the problem. Now its lost power three times over a 4 month period and after another expensive plug in they said it had an intermitent Turbo problem (variable veins) or something???. Then recently the temperature gauge which used to quickly get to 90 and stay there is up and down all the time, and sometimes the glow plug light flashes on and off untill i stop the engine, then restart. Its a low mileage car in great condition which tows our caravan and ticks all the boxes, so i am loath to sell it!! but these continuos problems are driving us mad!! Any help greatlytaken thanks

I think a flashing glow plug light is a malfunction warning.

I think one the common causes is a defective brake switch, check your brake lights see if they are working.

Loss of power is common on the 1.9tdi, there are loads of threads about it here.

I think the common causes are the MAF sensor (which has been changed), defective or leaking vacuum pipes or T MAX sensor.

Have a search for "low power" you will find dozens of threads

Hope this helps

Edited by iluvm

I think one the common causes is a defective brake switch, check your brake lights see if they are working.

Loss of power is common on the 1.9tdi, there are loads of threads about it here.

I think the common causes are the MAF sensor (which has been changed), defective or leaking vacuum pipes or T MAX sensor.

Hope this helps

Thanks for that i have checked the brake lights and they are fine, the temp gauge has really thrown me though!!

As for the temperature gauge going up & down without access to WDS / vag com etc I would check that temp switch connection is fully home, ie, unclip, clean, re-clip and check the wire no damage etc.

If you can trace wire back etc or all else fails change water temp switch?

Thats a start some one else on here may have had simular issues

As for the temperature gauge going up & down without access to WDS / vag com etc I would check that temp switch connection is fully home, ie, unclip, clean, re-clip and check the wire no damage etc.

If you can trace wire back etc or all else fails change water temp switch?

Thats a start some one else on here may have had simular issues

Thanks i will let my pal know who wil try that for me thanks very much

• 1 year later...

Hope this helps

i have had a recent problem with loss of power as well as this the brake light seemed to stay on, garage reset the brake light switch under the breke pedal now car running fine , why would a fault with the brake kight switch cause such a loss of power? mechanic said he messed with the switch and heard a click as though something went back into place and the car then drove fine???

i have had a recent problem with loss of power as well as this the brake light seemed to stay on, garage reset the brake light switch under the breke pedal now car running fine , why would a fault with the brake kight switch cause such a loss of power? mechanic said he messed with the switch and heard a click as though something went back into place and the car then drove fine???

The brake light switch is joined by another switch on the pedal and also switches on the clutch p[edal - they all give various bits of info to the ECU to assist in running the engine properly. When you get problems on these switches it has some very starnge effcts. Just because your brake lights are working doesn't mean that the switches are OK. The switches cost around

Loss of power when brake light switch goes faulty: The ECU thinks that you are braking and therefore cuts the power available from the engione, as you should not be trying to accelerate when you are also braking! The brake light switch is responsible for quite a number of obscure problems on diesel Galaxys