Aircon Problems

What aircon problems have you had?  

834 members have voted

1. 1. What aircon problems have you had?

• None
    • Partial Failure (i.e flashing panel aircon, still working though)
    • Full Failure

We need to do something about this aircon problem. As Seatkid has mentioned on an aircon post it would be useful to see how many people have had problems. Those who have had problems also need to contact BBC Watchdog to get this issue out to the public as I'm sure there are other people who don't come to this forum who have had aircon problems with their Shalaxys.

• Replies 503
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Evaporator failure which took 18 months, several visits and hundreds of pounds just to locate by Seat dealer. Still not fixed - bank ran dry.

Guest barney

Lost a compressor , renewed with second hand compressor. Ran for 18months.

Now have sheared pipework from compressor and trying to figure out how to fix pipework or renew.

Not impressed with reliability

:lol:

From my own personal experience, I think the main problem is that the dealers fail to identify the problem because they haven't got a clue and to some extent are happy to keep changing bits under warranty as they get paid for doing it.

I was lucky that SEAT customer Services persued things even though the car had gone out of warranty when I eventually got it fixed.

Try renaming it

Who has not had Aircon problems

Could be quicker

Its C---P its Costly and the Fraud dealers know b---s--t about most things

Ahhhh feel better for that of my chest

think i may go for a stroll now

Ian :lol:

Guest nimrod

The only time my aircon has failed was due to a total loss of gas when a pipe fractured! the roll restrictor bolt on the gearbox sheered and allowed the engine to move to much and it cracked the pipe from the compressor :lol: also it stopped working once when the plug fell off the relay in the fuse box in the engine bay!

but I get the aircon serviced once a year and its checked out for leaks, vacuumed out and refilled if needed, maybe that helps?

I had a Sharan for 7 years with no problems with the aircon at all.

In Feb 2004, I traded it in for a nearly new galaxy. It was obvious from the outset that the heater was suspect. Indeed, heat was only produced from the front vents when on full. The dealer couldn't diagnose it without taking the dash apart. At this point I chose to exchange the vehicle under the 30-day exchange plan offered by Ford Direct. At the time of writing this, I have had no problems with the new car and I shall keep my fingers crossed.

My Gals been to the Ford dealer today for aircon problems, they had it for an hour and said they have some bad news for me!! It was bad news for them the compressor has gone and its still under warranty. Having to wait for the part, hopefully that will be the solution.

Hope you get your compressor sooner than I got mine last year - there were none in stock within the spares network (surprise, surprise, due to the high demand) and "my" dealer ended up sourcing one from within another dealer group. There are at least two types, the one fitted to Ford's own engine (ie the 2.3 for facelifted models) and another one for the VW engines (diesels and the 2.8).

Why Ford seem to deny it, I do not know, here are some extracts from their technical service bulletins:

67/2002

In order to provide an additional service to Ford customers and also avoid expensive repairs (e.g. compressor damage), an A/C Check and an A/C Service are being introduced. They will be implemented for all models, current and past. The A/C Check will be added to the Extended Period Maintenance, to be carried out every three years, and will include: a temperature check at the evaporator outlet tube and a visual inspection of the lines, hoses and connections.

112/2002 - Galaxy Specific

Should a customer express concern that the air conditioning system is inoperative or there is inadequate cooling power and there are leaks in the air conditioning system, the probable cause is a corroded/damaged aluminium cover on the air conditioning condenser or a damaged O-ring. To rectify this concern, a new air conditioning condenser should be installed.

Amazing, 56% of people who have voted so far have had aircon problems. I wonder what the percentage of all Shalaxy owners who have had aircon problems is?

Has anyone contacted BBC Watchdog yet? I haven't because as yet my aircon hasn't had a problem but when it does I certainly will.

Howard

Sharan '02 1.9TDi. No problems as yet. Used an electronic baby's room thermometer and reading 7C from outlets.

We have the dual air conditioning and this works really well. I never believed the a/c could really work on such a big car so we made the dual a/c a prerequisite.

I never see the usual pool of condensation under the car though. Wonder were it is all going!!

Used an electronic baby's room thermometer and reading 7C from outlets.

Wow....he has an electronic baby!

Why does an electronic baby need to know the temperature of it''s room?

Maybe the electronic baby is made by VW and only works 100% in the right conditions...

Can you turn off an electronic baby? Would be useful, mine's just hit the 18 month screaming temper tantrums stage. Makes shopping trips great fun. Tuts from old people and sympathetic looks from other parents and getting her back in the car.... it's quicker to walk B)

Howard

Just a thought.

Are there more instances of problems with climate control as opposed to manual air-con???

It seems to me that with climate control on 'Auto' the AC will be on almost constantly unless switched to 'ECON'.

Manual aircon would not be used as often.

I have manual aircon and have had no problems to date...(hope I haven't spoken too soon!!!).

Mussey1.

• 2 weeks later...