Aux Heater ?

• Replies 600
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest vr6galaxy

From reading the other topics on the subject it's controlled by the engine coolant temp and the ambient temperature, if the ambient temp is below 5C and the coolant below 75C then it should cut in?

Lo guys - it's 10C outside temp and 75C water temp - as long as the temps are below this, it should run continuously.. As mine now does, since I replaced the glow plug lol :rolleyes:

Mike

Not according to the Ford TIS it is not, it is 5C.

Lo guys - it's 10C outside temp and 75C water temp - as long as the temps are below this, it should run continuously..  As mine now does, since I replaced the glow plug lol :rolleyes:

Mike

Mine runs at less than 11 deg C, 11.5 it won't start, 11 it does for sure.

Regards - JohnB

Could someone please clarify aux heater?? i.e i have a extra heater switch on my dash board (1997 1.9 tdi 90bhp) which turns on a heater in the rear nearside wheel arch which is controlled by temp guage and speed dial in roof above middle row of seats on nearside, Is this the same aux heater or is this just a add on of the front heater as cannot see any type of exhaust coming from nearside wheel arch either? but does seem to work well and is normally warm before the front heater but ignition has to be on to use

thanks

crasin

When I had a 90bhp. the switch on the dash would turn the control unit on just above the rear passanger on the roof lining? I thought it was so you could have the switches pre set and turn them on and off from the dash?

This heater is for keeping the rear passengers warm.

I think that the aux heater everyone is talking about is on theMK2 As far as I know it is not fitted to the MK1.

Altought in your hand book your type of heater may be reffered to as an Aux heater?

Lo guys - it's 10C outside temp and 75C water temp - as long as the temps are below this, it should run continuously..  As mine now does, since I replaced the glow plug lol :rolleyes:

Mike

Taken from TIS 2004..

Booster Heater

Owing to the high efficiency of the 1.9L diesel engine, at low temperatures, there is insufficient waste heat available for the heater.

For this reason a booster heater is installed to increase the coolant temperature so that the air in the heater is heated up sufficiently.

The highest output of the booster heater is 5 kW and the lowest 2.4 kW.

A fuel pump attached to the fuel tank absorbs diesel from a separate fuel line and pumps it into the evaporator section of the combustion chamber.

The exhaust gases are discharged into the outside air by means of a separate exhaust system.

An amount of smoke during the start of the fuel fired heater is typical and a part of the normal combustion process.

The system is automatically activated when the engine is running (signal D+ from the generator is active) and when the ambient temperature is lower than 10

The 2 dials in the headlining control the AUXILARY heater for the rear of the passenger compartment and nothing else. The BOOSTER heater is the one situated under the n/s/r door, tucked up behind the sill - if you kneel down and look, the small exhaust and silencer can be clearly seen. I have some pics taken when I did mine, but we still can't upload images...

Mike

Right for all you lot having probs with the heater, I'd advise either a diagnostic to pinpoint - or take it out and test the glowplug!! I have spoken to the German manufacturers of the units who also recon them, they advise that a high percentage are returned with a single fault... Ie the glow plug..

Here's the little bugger - excuse the dirty hands!

dsc022880xf.jpg

It takes all of 10 mins to remove the booster heater, and you DO NOT have to remove the coolant pipes, as you can strip it on the floor whilst they are still attached.. Just disconnect the wiring plug and pull of the fuel hose! Anyone who tells you otherwise (prob Frauds) is full of B/S - I've done it twice now, first to confirm the glow plug was dead, (it was) and 2nd to replace it with the (according to Fraud) "unavailable as a seperate part, you'll be needing a complete unit" replacement.. Mine now works like a treat!

Here's the heater on the floor still attached to the car:

dsc022909nu.jpg

And here's where it lives!

dsc022944tn.jpg

They CAN be bought from:

Hans Motors

22 The Fort Ind Park

Birmingham

B35 7AR

Tel 0121 749 8820

Speak to Lloyd Parchment - mention my name (Mike Fenlon) and the forum!!

The original Beru (OEM) part no is 0 100 226 228 but it has now been superceeded, although Lloyd is aware of the new part No.

It is not a stock item, and has to be ordered from Germany, but it is the GENUINE OEM part. Cost is......

• 3 weeks later...
Guest frandickinson

Thanks to everyone for the info on the Aux heater. Now i know what is making the jet engine noise.

Stupid question maybe but are you saying that the noise is only generated when the glowplug needs replacing or will the noise occur whenever the heater is activated?

Thanks

Francis

Thanks to everyone for the info on the Aux heater.  Now i know what is making the jet engine noise.

Stupid question maybe but are you saying that the noise is only generated when the glowplug needs replacing or will the noise occur whenever the heater is activated?

Thanks

Francis

Well I'll be ...... So is that why I hear what sound like a small fan motor , coming from under the rear passanger side sill, sometimes when I stop the Sharan. It runs on for a short whilst after turning the ignition off .?

I really sh ould try to get hold of an owners hand book, I have got one for a 2000 on model if anyone wants to swap

TAM

MM, the white smoke thing is quite common, if you bear in mind that the heater only fires up at low'ish temperatures, there will more than likely be a fair bit of moisture in the air that will turn to steam when it is drawn into the burner chamber. Mine only makes visible smoke the first time you start it up on a cold day, and it's not noticeable after a few minutes or so..

I think it is atomising fine, as the readout from the temperature sensor inside the unit gets as high as 360 deg C when it's on full (5kw) output..

Mike

Guest tahirti3

the smoke i get is very bad and also smells and goes on for quite a while.one ford "mechanic" at my main dealer told me that i should not see a lot of smoke but if there was a problem i would get a warning light.on a second visit to the dealer another "mechanic" said he was aware of the problem with galaxys and it needs the complete ,what he called fuel heater assembly.could the smoke be caused by a glowplug that is not burning the fuel properly.if i am talking nonsense please excuse me as i am a ford newbie.

thanks

Hi, I would not worry about the smoke.. The smell is just a byproduct of the way in which ithe fuel is being burned, a similar process to those high powered gas blower heaters IIRC, it would appear that Ford's are probably the least knowledgeable people on this subject!!

If you really want to, you can take out the glowplug and test it - it should be almost white hot within 3 or 4 seconds, and should draw aprox 8 amps when running (it is rated @ 8V & 8A) See the pics I have posted earlier in this thread for more info..

Mike