Aux Heater Removing Soot

Guest Hankinson

Guest Hankinson

Help !

Does anyone know if I need to re-set anything in VAG COM or whatever? I ran the car and the booster did NOT fire up (whereas it was working,and smoking, before I cleaned/reassembled).

Changed my plug today and aux heater started up spining slowly af first and gaining speed over about a minute. Mind you it only statred up when I put on the rear booster heater by pressing the button on the dash.

The aux heater exhaust gave a little clean odourless steam much like you would get from a domestic kettle nearing the boil. This makes me wonder if the cause of your soot is a reduced or blocked air intake. On my 97 TDI the air is drawn in through a flexible silver coloured hose which pushed into a grommet in a hole in the lower longitudinal box section. This inlet hose is made of a laminated constructin with a corrugated aluminium excterior and a soft fabric type interior. It could easily get blocked which I recon would lead to incomplete combustion and possibly tar and soot. I'll try to post a photo of this inlet hose tomorrow.

gerryfr

Help !

Does anyone know if I need to re-set anything in VAG COM or whatever? I ran the car and the booster did NOT fire up (whereas it was working,and smoking, before I cleaned/reassembled).

ok, well, if you haven't broken anything (eg wiring) then i think the computer need resetting.

If you read the first post on this topic, you will find this:

They say that, after three error logs, the computer blocks the aux heater from any further attempts to fire up until it is reset by the dealer.

so, it looks as though it needs resetting.

MATT

Usually the booster heater is shut down 'permanently' after the ECU logs five failed ignitions.

Mine didn't for some reason, even though I could see 5 'flameouts' logged - so the heater tried to start up twice every trip, for 2 weeks, until I replaced the glow plug. Left the whole heater dripping diesel. With new glowplug it restarted even though the outside temperature was way above 5c - and filled the entire street with smoke for 15 minutes as the old diesel burnt off :huh: . The neighbours were on the verge of phoning the fire brigade :( . There was obviously an glitch in the ECU that left a permanent 'on' signal to the heater.

Once it had run normally once, it didn't work again until I had cleared the fault codes with VAG-COM.

• 4 years later...
Folks - thanks for the advice - going to get it re-set and then I am hopefully a proud owner of a non-smoking vee-hicle :-)

Alan, Rotterdam

Sorry to bring up an old thread but anyone got the part number of the gasket set? It's almost readable in the pic, but not quite!

Ta

John

Have you got an Eberspacher dealer near you then?

20.1820.99.0001.0A - Kit, Seal

25.2121.99.0113.0A - Flame Protector

The VW part numbers are:

7D0 898 003 - Kit, Sealing @

• 6 months later...